Monday, September 05, 2011

Hong Kong Vacation 2008

Reposted from my old blogsite...
Here's a report of our Hong Kong vacation, April 12-16, 2008.
Saturday, Apr 12: Left Manila at 7pm, (the plane we were going to ride was delayed coming in from Melbourne by abt 30 mins.) Arrived at HK International Airport at around 9pm.
Is that our plane?
Hannah & Jeriel waiting to board
Jeriel on the plane

After clearing HK immigrations, we took the Airbus to the city. Got off at Prudential Centre, Jordan Stn, and checked in at City Econo Guesthouse. Mel and I took a stroll around the vicinity, stopped in front of BP International House and reminisced of our last vacation in HK 12 yrs ago. A lot has changed since.
At the HKIA Ground Transportation Centre
On board the A21 Bus to Tsim Sha Tsui
Quad room at the City Econo Guest House
Tiny but clean toilet & shower room

Sunday, Apr 13: It was drizzling when we got to Ocean Park, but it cleared up by noon. The queues for the rides were long though, it being a weekend, and the kids didn't like waiting in line, but nevertheless enjoyed the rides. We got on the Skystar and OP Tower, and Hannah and I dared the Raging River. We visited the Giant Panda Habitat, Atoll Reef, Shark Aquarium and Sea Jelly Spectacular. We also stopped by Pacific Pier to watch the feeding of the seals. By 4pm we all had aching feet and headed back to our lodgings.

Seahorse logo of Ocean Park

View from the Ocean Park cable car

We attended the 6pm worship at St. Andrews Church along Nathan Rd. They have a good praise & worship band and they sang familiar songs, so we were able to sing along. Then we met up with my HS classmate, Robi & family, at the Avenue of Stars to watch the Symphony of Lights.

Watching the Symphony of Lights
Bruce Lee on Avenue of the Stars

With HS classmate Robi & family

Monday, Apr 14: Disneyland day. The weather was great, cloudy in the morning, but the sun came out before noon. The queues for the rides were short so we were able to do Astroblasters three times and Space Mountain twice. 

On board the Disney train

We went on the Jungle River Cruise and climbed Tarzan's Treehouse. We watched High School Musical, Golden Mickeys, Mickeys Philharmagic, Stitch Encounter, Festival of the Lion King, Disney on Parade and Disney in the Stars Fireworks. Our only disappointment was that Autopia was closed for the day for maintenance. But we enjoyed our whole day and stayed until the fireworks display.

Cinderella's castle... getting ready for the fireworks display

From there, we went to Mongkok and had dinner at Modern Toilet (this resto was featured at Unang Hirit several weeks ago). Their Pork with Chili Sauce is good, similar to our caldereta. (Note: Modern Toilet in Mongkok is now closed.)  Then we went to the night market on Tung Choi St. (Ladies' Market).

Pork with Chili Sauce... served in a toilet bowl... LOL!

Iced tea... served in a urinal... *chuckle*

Tuesday, Apr 15. We went to Tung Chung and rode the Ngong Ping Cable Car, enjoyed the spectacular views of Lantau island. We walked up the 268 steps to the Tian Tan Buddha statue, the world's largest, seated, bronze Big Buddha statue. We also enjoyed Walking with Buddha, an immersive, multimedia attraction allowing visitors to follow the life of Siddhartha Gautama - the man who became Buddha - and his path to enlightenment. And the Monkey's Tale theater presents a charming and comical 'show' inspired by the famous Buddhist Jataka stories.

In the afternoon, we went to Victoria Peak. We stopped first at IFC City'super to buy Royce Nama Chocolates (best melt-in-your- mouth chocolates.) We took the Peak Tram up to Victoria Peak and enjoyed eating a square each of our royce nama while taking in the spectacular views of HK harbour. On our way back, we took the Star Ferry from Central to Tsim Sha Tsui and wandered around, window shopping along Nathan Rd. Then we had a Peking duck dinner at Peking Restaurant.

Royce Nama Chocolates... my favorite: champagne!

Waiting for the Peak Tram... here it comes!
Star Ferry from Central to Tsim Sha Tsui

Wednesday, Apr 16. Went to the airport at 9am. After checking in at the PAL counter, we were requested by HK airport people to pose for a picture. They were preparing their annual report and needed a picture of a family on vacation in HK, so we gladly posed for them.

So that's it... we're back in Manila. I hope it won't be long till we have our next vacation in HK.


  1. Very nice madmader! Congrats and welcome sa world ng Blog! Yeah lagay ka din po ng fanpage sa FB para ma click namin!

    Follow mo din po ako;)) he he he! At paki vote na din po ang Underground River!

  2. The HongKong vacation is described in the post here. Read to know more